sexta-feira, 2 de março de 2012

Germany: Oktoberfest


In September of last year (2011), I went to Germany after an invitation from a friend, Simone, who I met in Buenos Aires when I was living there. In our agertinian times, she could see how much I, and most of brazilians, feed this huge passion for beer! So, right after we were sure I would come live in Portugal, she invited me to stay in her house, in Ausgsburg, one hour or so from Munich, where OKTOBERFEST happens every year! YEYYY!

You know, I traveled to some other places after this one, but, still, this was the trip I liked the most! Besides all the fun of meeting again someone from the other side of the world, and all the obsession for drinking hehe, of course that staying in a friend's house makes you save a lot of money and makes it much easier to have a good sense of humor during the trip - for those used to the little bag from "Ryanair", you know what I'm talking about! - you have extra money for souvenirs, get in museums that you maybe woudn't, and, in this especific case, to drink more beer!!! =))) especially when each 1L mug of beer costs 8 Euros. 


Well, I'll try to explain my tragetory 'till there. I got on a flight here in Porto to Memmingen Airport, using Ryanair. I remeber that by then it was more expensive than I expected, 'cause the festival had already began when I bought the tickets, but, searching for it today, I found out that the prices are still very low for this year, the festival will star on Setpember 22, going 'till October 09. So, if you arrive in Memmingen, you still need to catch a train that will take you to Munich, it costs around 20 Euros and you can check the timetable and exactly prices here. As long as this train is necessary, sometimes it's worth it going with Easy Jet, it usually offers a bit more expensive flights, but goes to bigger airports, like Munich, so you don't need to get in any train, got it? I ended up going to Memmingen, 'cause my friend picked me up there hehe

I'm not sure if I was the only one who ever thought like that, but it's not necessary to pay to get in the festival. The moment you leave the subway, you're already in the place, all you have to do is try not to get lost from your friends, find a place to sit and start the all the drinking! The day I went, the sun was really strong, the place was so busy and most of people (turists or not) were dressed according to the tradition, really cute! One of the first things one can notice, is all the crowld in front of the most popular beer tends in the festival. We tried to get in some of them for one hour or so, but we gave up after a lot of people pushing. But, if you do not get in the tends as well, or just don't care about it, you can sit in one of the hundreds of tables outside and order your beer to one of the hundreds of waiters that are coming and going with loooots of mugs. 



Talking to a brazilian friend currently living in Germany, he told me that he could get in one of the tends just because he was wearing a brazilian shirt, and - who would have thought - one of the waitresses had lived in Brazil for a while, sooo, she felt something by looking at them =) ... But, anyway, what's inside the tends? Well, there's tipical german food and the beer that is being selled in there, is specially produced for the festival. Besides that, some traditional singing and dancing will probably happen. PS.: The food is served during lunch and dinner ONLY, so, if you feel like eating in the between, you'll have to grab some snack outside the tend, but then you can forget any possibility of getting back to your sit inside, OR, you can prepare your food and bring it, like germans do! Here you can find out a bit more about the tends; wich one is the most popular, what to expect from them and to whom you have to send and e-mail to skip all the boring part of trying to get in.


If by the end of the party you're not feeling dizzy enough and still want some adrenaline, you can go to the rides that compose the festival!

The sad part is that when the night comes, everything stops, strictly at 11pm! And you HAVE to leave, 'cause there's a whole team made only to empty the place AHAHAHA, but it's ok, 'cause it starts all over again the next day, at 9 a.m. =))

Simone, the friend who hosted me, as a good german and Oktober fan, told me that uuusually the audiency in the weekends works like this: the first one, the australians and USA people take control; the second, it's time for the italians to come (this was the one I went, and believe me, I felt in Italy); the third, a mixture of nationalities, since it's the last one, it's more calm (if you can say that! ahhahha).

Is someone considering going there for this year's edition??? Wants more tips? You can ask =)

Giu
Comentários
0 Comentários

0 comentários :

Postar um comentário

Deixe sua opinião sobre esse post ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...